Back to top



Kraziai is a small town in the territory of the Kelmes District, the oldest of all. In written sources for the first time mentioned in 1253, when Mindaugas presented the Livonian Order part of Samogitia. The town is located on both sides of the river Kragante, the old part of the city is protected as the value of urban culture. Monasteries and churches of the town since ancient times have a special significance for the cultural and spiritual life of not only Samogitia, but all of Lithuania. In 1416, the Grand Duke Vytautas ordered the construction of one of the first Christian churches in Samogitia in Kraziai. In 1565, the Radvilov residence was started here, on the basis of which the Jesuits founded the Kraziai collegium – which for a long time was the most important educational and religious center of Samogitia. In the Gymnasium of Kraziai Motei Valancius began to write his first works, Dionis Paška, Simonas Stanyavichus, the brothers Antanas and Jonas Yushki and others studied. When the Benedictine monks settled in the Bailiwick, they built their own monastery and a church. When the wooden buildings of the monastery were dilapidated, in 1757-1763. A stone church was built, which was designed by the professor of the Kraziai collegium Thomas Jebrauskas. Church was awarded the title of the Immaculate Conception of St. Mary.

Tours in Kraziai


KraziaiThe history of the 21st century is created by the traditional Kraziai festival, the Baroque opera courses, the educational camp of the children’s and youth theater Collegium. On the first Sunday after the holiday of Jolieves, believers from all over Lithuania summon the feast of the miraculous healer of the patients of St. Rokas – the oldest holiday of the parish, with deep roots. The whole year there are often various art experts – singers, composers, photographers, artists, connoisseurs of art. Kraziai like a magnet attracts interesting and famous people.

Kraziai a rare town of a similar scale, which has something to be proud of, what to appreciate and what to rejoice. The town is distinguished by its rich history, active cultural life and preserved objects of cultural heritage.


We invite you to visit:

The Kraziai Board

At the beginning of the 17th century, when the Jesuits arrived at the Kraziai, they founded the Kraziai Collegium – which for a long time was the most important educational and religious center of Samogitia. It is an ensemble of 22 buildings (a monastery, a college, a church, etc.). To this day only the southern building of the ensemble has survived – a significant historical and architectural monument of the 16th and 17th centuries. In the renovated building in 2008 the multi-functional cultural center of Motei Casimir is located.

Catholic church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The first church in Kraziai was built in 1416 – modern, made of stone, built in 1763. The defense of the church in 1893 became known throughout the world as the carnage of the Kraziai.

Mount Vytautas

We climb 50 stairs to the mountain of Vytautas, where Grand Duke Vytautas ordered the construction of one of the first Christian churches in Samogitia. Historians and archaeologists argue that at the base of the hill there is an ancient settlement, which is over 4000 years old. Today, only the stone belltower, built in 1852, is preserved here.

Medjokalnis Hill

Medjokalnis Hill is surrounded by various legends. Mentioned sacred oak – from under the roots of which flowed holy water, and nearby was a statue of the goddess Medeina and burned holy fire. Today, near this oak stand wooden crosses, set in 1926, 1975, 1989, and also in 1999 – metal. Today, Medjökalnis is a popular meeting place.

Square Mindaugas

On this place until 2003 stood the building of the Kraziai House of Culture. In 2003, the chapel was erected, in connection with the 750th anniversary of the city. In 2013, on the central square of Mindaugas, a memorial stone was placed and consecrated, in honor of the city’s 760th anniversary.

Place of the Jewish holocaust

The place of the Holocaust and the grave of the Jews of Kraziai, not far from the hill Medjokalnis. In 1941, most of the prisoners of the German ghetto were killed in August, their age is unknown. Today on the monument there is an inscription: “At this place 1941.08.02 the Nazis and their accomplices killed 71 Jews from the Kraziai”.