The name of the town of Jurbarkas is associated with Georgenburg – the castle of the Crusaders and Swordmen, mentioned in 1259 by the Chronicle of the Swordmen (P. Dusburgetis).
This date is when city was established. In 1422, after the Melnic Peace Treaty, Jurbarkas became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In the 15th century it is a border town in which trade flourishes. The customs books of the city indicate that local merchants themselves transported their products: hemp, flaxseed, animals, lime, wax, etc., and brought goods for the royal court and boyars: salt, Western fabrics, metal products, French wine, Citrus fruits, condiments, etc. In the beginning of the 16th century, Jurbark was given to Queen Bona. Bona Sforza, the wife of Zhigimantas the Old, is one of the brightest personalities of the Renaissance. By its decree, the territory of the city was expanded. Jurbarkas is one of the first cities in Lithuania built according to the regular plan, characteristic for the Renaissance.
Jurbarkas is located in a very beautiful place. It is worth to visit those interested in both estates, and archeology or nature. Therefore, this area will not leave anyone indifferent.
Here is the memorial museum of the sculptor V. Gribas, Jurbarkas Regional Museum, as well as the hillfort Bishpil. The latter is surrounded by legends, that in the mountain is buried the great founder of the city. It is supposed that there was a wooden castle called Kolainis, which at the end of the 18th century – the beginning of the 19th century belonged to the Nemunas defensive system.
In Jurbarkas, the old town, in which the merchants lived, was also preserved. The life of the city was boiling here: the market, eateries, craftsmen’s workshops, a knitting workshop, a tailoring workshop, a watchmaking workshop, banks, hotels, the town hall and the synagogue – a unique wooden architecture building of the late 18th century, destroyed in the autumn of 1941.
The Jurbarka district is famous for the paradise road – in the direction of Kaunas, there are a lot of attractions, sites of ancient settlements, estates.
We should also mention the towns Smalininkai and Veshvile, especially those that belonged to the Germans before the Peace Treaty.
It is impossible to describe all the natural and cultural riches of this region – the Jurbarkas district should be seen and explored independently.